The Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity was founded at the Russell Military Academy in New Haven, Connecticut, on May 30, 1879. Initially Kappa Psi was organized into two collegiate chapters: Delta Chapter in the School of Medicine at the University of Maryland and Gamma Chapter in the School of Pharmacy at the New York College of Pharmacy. In 1924, the medical-pharmaceutical affiliation of Kappa Psi was terminated, and it was separated into two organizations: the Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity and the Theta Kappa Psi Medical Fraternity.
Kappa Psi is the world’s oldest and largest pharmaceutical fraternity. There are currently 71 collegiate chapters and 43 graduate chapters in the United States and Canada. Today, there are over 46,000 members in Kappa Psi. The Delta Pi Chapter of Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity was installed at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Pharmacy on November 10, 1997. Currently, there are 88 members in the Delta Pi Chapter. The Texas Tech Health Sciences Center School of Pharmacy is also fortunate to have 6 faculty members who are Kappa Psi members.